EWA is excited to announce the first US based registry for Fallow Deer. We are going to make submission of your samples as easy as possible.
Contact EWA Office at 830-315-7761 or email@example.com and let us know how many submission envelopes and return labels are needed. These envelopes & labels are at no cost to you.
Submitting your sample is as easy as:
- You must be an Active EWA member or above.
- Thoroughly wash and dry your hands.
- If sending hair sample – Use pliers to grasp approximately 8-10 hairs close to the skin and pull. Repeat until you have approximately 20-30 hairs with root follicles attached.
- If submitting antler – Drill at the base into the core of the antler.
- Hair sample or antler sample should be placed in the envelope received from the EWA office with all information filled out. Each sample MUST be in a separate envelope.
- Place the submission envelope into an envelope with the EWA return label with your payment of $40 per sample, made out to Exotic Wildlife Association.
- If mailing from outside the United States, a current import permit must accompany the sample.
The most reliable parentage results come from you providing all of the possible parents. We can qualify one parent by itself or two parents together. Two parents together is more powerful that a single parent.
If there are multiple possible sires that you know of, you should provide all of them because two sires that are closely related can, in some cases, both qualify. If we know that both are qualifying, we can take steps to run additional markers and exclude one of them. If we’re only given one sire, and it qualifies, we may just report the qualification without examining the other possible sire.
After the samples are received in the EWA office we will submit them to Cal Davis University. Once the DNA results are complete the results will be emailed to the breeder and to the EWA office for entry into the Fallow Deer registry. You will then be provided with a pass code in order to access the registry.
Contact EWA office for any questions at 830-315-7761 or firstname.lastname@example.org